About this collection
The creation of the Theological Seminary at Johnson C. Smith University, formerly known as Biddle University, fulfilled an urgent mission of the Presbyterian Church in the southeastern United States during the period immediately following the War Between the States. This mission was laid out in a meeting of the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church in the Philadelphia Office during the year 1864. The Theological Seminary was officially closed in 1968 and moved to Atlanta, Georgia.
The Theological Seminary Collection consists of the newsletters, annual reports and administrative correspondence dated from the early 1900s to the seminary's move to Atlanta in 1969. This collection hopes to offer some insight on its operation over the 100 years that it existed on the campus of Johnson C. Smith University.
- JCSU Theological Seminary administration which includes annual and departmental reports.
- JCSU Theological Seminary newsletters
- Correspondences from A.H. George, Dean of Theology, beginning in 1946.
Related Finding Aid(s)
Archives LibGuide - gives more general information for reaching us, resources for conducting genealogy research on African Americans in the South.
Archives General Tour slideshow - learn about the history of the Inez Moore Parker Archives, its holdings and how we can work with you.
Archives Collections Tour slideshow – learn about our collections, highlights by years and how to use our finding aids. Also see pictures of our Archive spaces in the library.
Digital Smith – online home of the Archives' digital collections
Online Information Request Form